Feb 28, 2021
- To provide students with experiences for developing competencies in the process of composing.
- To help students acquire knowledge of the English language and its literature and related cultures.
- To help students develop skills in analyzing, evaluating and responding to a wide range of literature.
- To help students prepare for careers requiring a high degree of proficiency in writing, speaking, and critical reading and thinking.
- To prepare students to do advanced work in English and other professional fields.
Students who wish to apply to the program in English must have at least a 2.5 grade point average in the English and speech courses in general education (ENG 1301, 1302, 2301, 2302, HUM 2310 and SPH 2321 or 2341)
- The student must receive a grade of C or above in all courses taken for the major.
- Transfer credit may be accepted if the courses taken fit satisfactorily into the plan for the major outlined at Winston- Salem State University and if the student meets all the other requirements for transfer students, including the residency requirement.
The major in English requires a minimum of 41 and a maximum of 49 semester hours of required and elective courses beyond the general education core curriculum. In support of the major, students must take a minor, six semester hours of foreign language at the intermediate level, three semester hours of philosophy or Principles of Mathematics II (PHI 2301 or MAT 2304 ), and three semester hours of computer science (CSC 1306 ). The basic courses required of all students are as follows:
In addition, students must select a minimum of 12 hours from the following areas:
Period or Author Courses (3 hours required)
Genre Courses (6 hours required)
Theory Courses (3 hours required)
English majors are required to have a minor.
Bachelor of Arts Degree in English
Fall Semester (15)
Period or Author Course (ENG 3334, 3347, 3355, 3356, 3368, 3373, 3374, 3381, 4361, 4368) (3 hours)
Genre Course (ENG 3347, ENG 3350, ENG 3377, ENG 3378, ENG 3346 or 3348, DRA 3341 or DRA 4331) (3 hours)
- ENG 3306 - British Literature I
Minor or Electives (6)
Total Hours: 123 Semester Hours
(GE) General Education Core Requirements