- To provide experiences and training in public and interpersonal communication.
- To provide an awareness of the impact of non-verbal communication on meaning and interpretation.
- To contribute to the emotional and intellectual development of students by providing opportunities for creative self expression.
- To provide experiential learning activities that allow for the composition and delivery of oral communication projects to enhance student expression and creativity.
Students who minor in speech communication must earn a grade of C or above in all courses taken for the minor.
The minor in speech communication requires 18 hours beyond the course taken to complete the general education oral communication requirement. Courses should be chosen from among the following:
• SPH 2321 - Oral Interpretation of Literature
• SPH 2341 – Fundamentals of Speech*
• SPH 2343 - Voice and Diction
• SPH 3320 - Intercultural Communication
• SPH 3340 - Interpersonal Communication
• SPH 3350 - Group Discussion
• SPH 3360 - Argumentation and Debate
• SPH 3370 - Phonetics
• SPH 4345 - Advanced Public Speaking
• DRA 2313 - Acting
*All students minoring in speech communication must complete SPH 2341 . It may be taken to fulfill the general education oral communication requirement or counted as part of the minor.